Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Why I Listen To "Weird" Music

Have you ever met someone stuck inside of a musical "box"?  You know, those people who only like one particular style of music, and believe that they could never possibly like anything else?  Somehow I was lucky enough to escape getting caught in one of those boxes.  I have always enjoyed all different varieties of music.  I think it might have something to do with being raised on a combination of 50's jazz and 80's pop. (Thanks Mom!)

I admit it.  I like "strange" music.  I'm pretty aware of the fact.  I've even been made fun of because of the type of music I enjoy.  Once I was traveling in a car with a group of girls, and requested a particular channel on the radio.  The driver turned to the channel, and immediately people started to laugh.  "This is old people music!" "My grandpa doesn't even listen to this!"  I was a little bit humiliated.  However, I didn't let that stop me from listening to what I love! The same type of thing happens when people find out that I like listening to music in other languages.  I can't even count how many times I get comments like, "But you can't even understand what they're saying!"  Why does that matter so much?  If it meets my personal criteria, I'll listen to it!

I have a sort of checklist I use to determine if I like a particular song.  First of course, "Is it appropriate?" Failing to pass this question gets it automatically thrown out.  Once a song is past this stage, I listen to it and ask things like, "How does this song make me feel?"  "Can the artist sing?"  If it passes these questions with good answers, then chances are I like the song!  Why should it matter if it's an old song, or sung in another language?  In fact, one of the reasons I like listening to music in other languages is that I don't know exactly what they're saying.  I am less involved in the lyrics, and therefore I have more room to become immersed in the music.  Listening to singers who can truly sing gives me chills in a deep-down part of me that's pretty hard to touch.

This is the reason why I listen to "weird" music.  This is why I will be making posts on this blog with Korean pop, "old people" music, and obscure bands that no one has heard of.  Music can do things to me that nothing else can. So I am going to enjoy as many different kinds of music as I possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment