Monday, May 14, 2012

Insult or Accept? Ramblings of a Music Lover

  I feel sort of ramble-y today.  Consider yourself forewarned. =)  So anyways...   I was listening to music on YouTube and noticed some really rude comments on one of the videos.  It made me start to ponder two questions.
  First, why do some people feel the need to put down other people's music?  I mean really, all that says is, "I'm so insecure about my own tastes that I won't let other people enjoy themselves in peace." Then they go and try to use their insults as a way to promote their own favorites!  How many times have we heard, "Oh, that music totally stinks!  You should go listen to some REAL music, like _____ (insert whatever)."  Excuse me, you just insulted something I love.  You really expect me to turn around and give your opinions a try?  Somehow I don't think that's going to work out to well for you.  I find insults to be a very ineffective way of sharing your musical taste.  They just get everyone angry.  Which leads me into my second question.
  Why do people get SO defensive when someone insults their music?  You know that people are only trying to get a rise out of you.  But this is a hard one.  I find myself struggling with it quite frequently.  Maybe it's because the music we listen to is an integral part of ourselves.  An insult to our music would then be, by extension, an insult to us personally.  However, getting mad isn't going to solve the problem, because that's exactly what they want.  When this happens I just have to remind myself, "You know what?  If they want to diss my music, they can go ahead.  They're just missing out."
  Thinking about this and writing this post, I've come up with a conclusion that I didn't expect - I have work to do.  I need to be better at being more respectful of other people's music.  I think the solution to both questions lies in accepting the fact that all people are different and enjoy different things.  So live and let live.  What are your thoughts on this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment